Thursday, April 17, 2014

Meet Heather

Heather discovered Hearts when she was 4 ½ years old.  She and I came to a Visitor’s Day, hosted by the Foster Family Association, and Heather fell in love immediately.  The next day, and every weekend thereafter, Heather wanted me to go to Hearts with her, to visit the horses.  

 At the age of 5, she received a scholarship to ride at Hearts and began what has become her life’s passion – horseback riding.

Like many adoptive parents, I had some difficulties bonding with my daughter when she was an infant.  When Heather began to ride, I soon realized that the horses were providing a way for us to connect with each other. Heather lives and breathes horses. She collects them, she draws them. Everything she owns is decorated with horses. If she is feeling sad or scared or withdrawn, she will ask me to go see the horses with her.  Being with them gives her a sense of belonging and peace.  At Hearts, Heather is OK with herself and with the world.  I am grateful that she wants to share “her horses” with me.  This is one way I know we can always connect.

Now Heather is 11 years old and has become a very proficient rider.  Her instructors have remarked on her talent and suggested that she consider graduating to a barn where she could receive more advanced training or learn to jump.  Perhaps some day she will, but for now, Hearts is “Home” for Heather.  This is a safe haven for her. It’s where she wants to bring her friends. She spends all her free time here.  I am certain that she will become a Hearts volunteer when she turns 14.  Her heart is here at Hearts.

-        --  Heather’s Mom

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see that Heather has been able to keep up her passion for horses. They need to start up the Rough Riders class on Friday after noon again, for those special riders who want to be more daring.

    ReplyDelete